Musical Director Job Description
This JD can be downloaded or printed here
To provide musical leadership for the Wycombe Orpheus MVC in line with its objectives to deliver musical excellence to its concert audiences in an entertaining and enjoyable manner. To have regard for the educational aspect of chorister development through well-structured rehearsals supported by learning aids, so that the Choir can continually renew its repertoire across a broad mix of musical genres.
The Musical Director is a self-employed role, reporting to the Choir Trustees comprising the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer.
- To run Choir rehearsals in a well-structured manner taking full advantage of the support available from the Deputy MD and Accompanist(s)
- To plan the repertoire for Choir Concerts well in advance to enable rehearsals and advance publicity to reflect the chosen content.
- To conduct Choir Concerts.
- To ensure availability of Learning aids for choristers in due time.
- To plan for repertoire refresh each year with entertaining material that audiences will appreciate.
- To lead the Choir Music Committee which exists to gather chorister ideas for new repertoire.
- To participate whenever possible in additional Choir events, including “small choir” events, special concerts for our Patrons, Sponsors and Choir Social activities.
- To ensure that a suitable Deputy can cover for the occasions when the MD cannot be available.
- The MD is expected to participate in the Choir Executive (Management) Committee
- Musical qualifications appropriate to the leadership role envisaged
- Confident in leading and conducting.
- Team ethos so that the MD can fully participate in the Choir’s development.
- Ability to manage other musical team members.
- Planning capabilities to meet the Job Duties as above.
- Ability to play piano at performance level would be a major asset but is not an essential requirement.
- Skills in arranging music for male voices would be valuable.
- Friendly and approachable demeanour, appropriate to an amateur yet highly dedicated and aspirational Choir which exists both for its social/charitable aspects and its musical excellence.
The Choir rehearses every Wednesday evening at the Wesley Methodist Church, Priory Road, High Wycombe, HP13 6SE from 7.30 to 9.30pm. We break from about mid-July to the end of August and again for 2-3 weeks over the Christmas period.
The Choir performs approximately 6-8 Concerts a year, normally on a Saturday evening between 7.30 to 10.00pm. Occasionally, before big concerts such as our Annual Concert held in the Swan Theatre in May, we schedule some extra rehearsals. Total rehearsals, allowing for the breaks, should not exceed 50 a year.
To be set according to experience and qualifications of candidate.
Applicants should send an email to our Secretary, Craig Lewis at email@example.com attaching relevant CV or Bio information. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by the Choir Trustees and will have the opportunity to meet and conduct the Choir in the period to mid-July when we take our summer break. The appointment will be effective from the start of our new Choir year in September.